Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Bon-Voyage Party

A nice couple invited Fall 08 SASers to their place. I was originally not going to go, but my travel buddy Rocio offered me a ride.

When I got to the house, it felt a little like the first day of college: everyone was introducing themselves, and some of the students were pretty shy. However, things started to get interesting when the alumni started telling stories from their voyage years ago. One Alumni described to me how you can smell India on the sea two days before you get there. Another alumni described to me how he was able to party with Fidel Castro (I'm jealous since we can't go to Cuba anymore). The alumni, besides from being great story tellers, were very helpful in clarifying hundreds of questions that Fall 08 SASers had. Most of the questions were in regards to packing (I really need to start packing).

Most of the students I met at the party were very friendly. However, there was a couple of students, even though very friendly, that seemed to want to make the voyage a "booze cruise," partying, hooking up, and getting drunk in port. I told myself I was not going to let this happen to me because first, I am spending lots and lots of money on this, and secondly, my primary reason for wanting to go on this voyage is to learn and experience more than I can ever imagine; my goal is to become a more confident and open-minded person. Thus, I intend to keep my partying down so I can act sensible at all time. :)

However, on a funnier note, one of the alumni did tell one pretty funny story of how a couple of years ago some students brought a Vietnamese hooker on the ship for two weeks and dumped her off in India. Even thought the story was funny and sad at the same time, I really do hope most of the students on board will be mature enough to do what is respectable to others, both the shipmates and the locals, and not be an embarrassment to Americans in general. It's already bad enough many foreigners see us as loud, obnoxious, and rich.

The meeting lasted for two hours, and I ate like 5 eggs rolls there. The overall impression of the other students was positive. However, I don't really see myself hanging out with a lot of them, but who knows. Besides, my first impressions of people are usually proven wrong with time.

Bon Voyage!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That's true. I remember my first impression of you. I thought you were an asshole, bc you always had this fucked up look on your face. Then I realized it the fucked up look wasnt malice, it was confusion. And you weren't an asshole, just a dumbass. And thus, our friendship flourished on the basis that you were in reality just a dumb mothafucka. HAHAHAHAHA...I'm just kidding. I'm just kidding. :P

Anonymous said...

ouch, mike, ouch. but wow the whole vietnamese hooker dumped in india thing is seriously funny but horribly messed up at the same time hahaha. how do classes and stuff work??

-chandni

Unknown said...

I'm not sure about this, but I'm guessing they work a lot like your brain, chan...not well.

 

Advertisement